Your eligible balance is the total value of all shares in your portfolio in taxable accounts that have gains and have been held for more than a year (long-term gains). We don’t currently enable donation of shares held for less than a year because the tax benefits are reduced. Read more here.
Articles in this section
- How do I donate shares?
- Which charities can I donate to through Betterment?
- Can you donate to charity with shares from goals using any portfolio strategy?
- Can I donate shares from my Tax-Coordinated Portfolio?
- How long do I have to hold shares to be able to donate them?
- Why can’t I donate my short-term capital gains?
- Can I donate shares from my Betterment IRA or 401(k)?
- How do I request a new charity be added?
- I represent a Charity. How can we be included to accept donations from Betterment customers?
- How do we calculate the eligible balance for making a donation?