You will first need to reach out to your receiving institution and request to have your assets transferred out of Betterment to the new provider. They will need to know your Betterment account number, which can be found on the "Settings" page of your Betterment account under "Accounts".
The transfer paperwork should include a copy of the first page of your most recent Betterment statement, which you can find on your Activity page.
- There are never any fees to transfer out or close your account
- For your taxable accounts, we transfer only full shares directly to another institution: we cannot transfer partial shares
- For IRAs, we’ll use the direct transfer process and send a check, to avoid any tax consequence for you
In addition, please be aware some additional documentation is necessary depending on the amount and type of account you are transferring:
- If you are transferring out more than $250,000, the transfer paperwork will need to be medallion signature guaranteed.
- For IRA transfers of less than $250,000, please simply send your completed original transfer paperwork
- For non-IRA transfers of less than $250,000, please have your signature notarized or medallion signature guaranteed
All outgoing transfer paperwork must be mailed to:
61 W 23rd. St
4th Floor Reception
New York, NY 10010
If you are transferring out to a 401(k) outside of Betterment, the requirements are slightly different.
If you are terminated from an employer that provided a Betterment 401(k) to you and you are looking to take a distribution, click here.