Like all market investments, the securities you own in your account are subject to market risk. If the markets are up, your balance will grow. When markets are down, your account can lose money. Fluctuations are especially hard to predict over the short term, but historic data shows that over the long-term your investment is likely to increase.
Articles in this section
- Why and how has Betterment selected this portfolio?
- What is the Betterment portfolio allocation?
- What funds are in my portfolio?
- Will my Betterment portfolio beat the market?
- Can my investment lose value?
- How and when is my portfolio rebalanced?
- I live in California or New York and have a taxable account. Can I have state-specific municipal bonds in my portfolio?