Like all market investments, the securities you own in your account are subject to market risk. If the markets are up, your balance will grow. When markets are down, your account can lose money. Fluctuations are especially hard to predict over the short term, but historic data shows that over the long-term your investment is likely to increase.
Articles in this section
- Why and how has Betterment selected this portfolio?
- Comparing our analysis charts to Google or Yahoo Finance graphs
- What accounts should I set up and which allocations are best?
- Paying off debt vs investing
- What is "idle cash"?
- How much should I allocate to the stock market?
- Should I dollar-cost average my deposits into the market?
- Why do you ask for my time horizon and goal target amount?
- Should I always be saving?
- ! 2.B The benefits are (probably) greater than you think