Your plan provider likely will not let you roll over a 401(k) while it is still active. This same logic applies to 403(b)s, Pensions and other employer sponsored retirement plans. For most providers, they require you to be retired or no longer employed at the company to be allowed to roll over retirement funds. Ask your provider to see what their rules are.
Articles in this section
- How do I transfer funds into Betterment?
- Roth or Traditional IRA, which is best for me?
- How do I use the indirect rollover process to move my IRA into Betterment?
- Can I transfer an Inherited IRA/401(k) or other retirement plan?
- Can I transfer my existing SEP IRA to Betterment?
- How can I rollover my 401(k), 403(b) or similar plan into Betterment?
- If you live in Michigan and want to withdraw or convert your IRA...
- Do I have to take my Required Minimum Distribution prior to converting to a Roth IRA?
- How do I convert my Betterment Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA?
- How do I transfer my IRA to Betterment?