Your plan provider likely will not let you roll over a 401(k) while it is still active. This same logic applies to 403(b)s, Pensions and other employer sponsored retirement plans. For most providers, they require you to be retired or no longer employed at the company to be allowed to roll over retirement funds. Ask your provider to see what their rules are.
Articles in this section
- How do I transfer my IRA to Betterment?
- How can I rollover my 401(k) into Betterment?
- Can I roll over my active 401(k) (or other employer sponsored plan) into Betterment?
- Can I transfer an Inherited IRA/401(k) or other retirement plan?
- How long does it take for my rollover to be completed?
- Can I transfer my existing SEP IRA to Betterment?
- Where do I mail my rollover check?
- How do I use the indirect rollover process to move my IRA into Betterment?
- Can I transfer my spouse’s IRA account into my own?
- If you live in Michigan and want to withdraw or convert your IRA...